Pages

Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Day 02 - Travel & Vacation #BookReviewBlogChallenge

Find info about this challenge here. Keep up with prompts here.

And you can still sign up until the 25th here.



The second prompt for the Book Review Blog Challenge hosted by Ann over at Great New Reads is travel/vacation. Don't we all wish we could be traveling and on vacation? I'm dreaming of white sands and the pitter patter of rain on my tent. Hopefully, things start settling down soon so that we're able to do some camping this summer.

But anyway, the book I chose is Fugitives and Refugees: A Walk in Portland, Oregon by Chuck Palahniuk. This was the very first book I bought with my own money a good 12 or so years ago. It fueled my obsession with the Pacific Northwest. It was a fascinating look at a seedy place I didn't think I'd ever get to see. I gave it four out of five stars. The info in the book, being 17 years old at this point, is a bit dated and it's definitely leaning to the more grungy underground part of Portland, so it's not for everyone.

I grew up in Texas, spent some time in my teens living in North Carolina and then moved back to Texas. Texas has SO much to see and visit, but damn does it take some time to get there. I missed the quick trips out to the shore when we lived in North Carolina, the day trips up to DC or down to Myrtle Beach (this could be another post in of itself).

Four years ago, without any plan or net, we had the opportunity to move to Portland. It felt like some sort of bizarre dream and so, we did. There's been a lot of ups and downs, but it's been pretty amazing. I've seen quite a few things mentioned in this book (the bubblers, the U.S.S. Blueback, the amazingness that is Powell's). And from here, we've done a lot of traveling, up into Washington and all around the state.

It's a unique place and while it isn't quite how it was back in the 90s, early 2000s when I first fell in love with the dumpsterfire of a city, it still has it's charm and we may move again, but I'll always want to come back and it's crazy to me how this little book changed the course of my life.

Thanks, Chuck!

6 comments:

  1. This kind of makes me want to do a solo trip to the States, especially the West Coast, which I've never visited. Good thing there's plenty of time to save money for the trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No kidding about the money thing. If you ever get a chance, please do! There's so much weird things up here. I've gone up to Seattle too and while it feels more big city than Portland still definitely has a lot of charm!

      Delete
  2. This book sounds intriguing as most travel books gloss over the dark, rundown portions of the destination. I've visited the west coast but never to Portland.

    I like the sentiment value of the book since you bought it with your hard earned money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You always remember your first bought book, I think! Yeah, I think that's why I liked it so much. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  3. I know how it feels to have your first book.Good to see that your childhood dream has come to fruition. Loved reading your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's pretty wild honestly. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete

Most Recent Crap

Hey All

I've moved blogs! Everything here will stay here a bit until I figure out what to do with it. The new blog doesn't have anything on ...