Pages

Friday, February 21, 2020

'The Wives' review *spoilers*

Originally, I had this rated a little higher, but the more I stewed on it, the more I just did not like it. And weeks later, writing this review, I'm just not happy about it, so here we go.

The premise of this - about a gal who agreed to a poly marriage where she wasn't supposed to know anything about the other wives but finds out that her husband may be abusing one of the other wives and wants to try and save her - was an interesting ideas. And if that's all it was, I think this would've been a good thriller-type (with more research into the whole poly thing needed, most def), but there was a "plot twist" that pretty much invalidated the first half of the book.

I mean, I kinda hated it. I rated it two stars on Goodreads, a pan on Litsy.

My biggest issue with the book is that it uses Thursday's mental illness as a plot point and a "convenient" way to wrap up all those loose ends and random choices she made (oh, she's mentally ill, that explain everything, right?). I realize people react to certain situations differently, but this level of psychosis just doesn't seem reasonable given the reason why. Thursday had a miscarriage sometime before the story begins, and while that's horrible and traumatic, it and her refusal to accept it (and the events after) fully are used as the catalysts to her downward spiral. I dunno, man.

Another thing I disliked about this book, other than the main character Thursday, was just... the characterization of every other female in the book. They were caricatures and stereotypes and just flat as a board. All these women were held down and hurt in some way by men and I'm just not happy reading about that. That's all they were. All their characters were there just to further demonize men. Men are manipulators and cheaters and they bribe and cajool women to stay with them (well, with the exception of Thursday who is just too crazy for her "husband," but he's a-ok leaning into that psychosis to get the food/sex whenever he wants). It's just gross. I'd also venture that this can be considered rape seeing as she, during those scenes, wasn't cognitively aware that they were no longer in a relationship and he's just taking advantage of that.

Also, that ending? When she should've been on the road to recovery and it honestly seemed like it, she just goes batshit on what's-her-face that visits? Out of left fucking field, man. Ridiculous. Of all the people she interacted with in the book, I'd say she's maybe three down the line of who she should be most angry with. In no way a realistic reaction. And maybe that was just in her head? But I fucking hate that kind of shit.

Needless to say, I'm not interested in reading any of Tarryn Fisher's other books as looking at their reviews, I see much of the same and no thanks.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Recent Crap

Hey All

I've moved blogs! Everything here will stay here a bit until I figure out what to do with it. The new blog doesn't have anything on ...