Pages

Wednesday, June 17, 2020

I Quit My Harry Potter Reread

Harry Potter was such a big thing when I was growing up. I bought the books as they came out, went to midnight releases, made many a friends through it, wrote fanfiction, bought tons and tons of merch. I bought in to the mobile game and Pottermore. Slytherin proud and all that. But man. Man, has Rowlings ruined it for me.

The reread wasn't going well, anyhow. It was my first time picking them back up since a reread when I was a teenager (I'd reread everything up until the newest book I got every time) and I decided, I'd go audiobooks for it just to give myself something new.

And boy, are they not good. Like, nostalgic obviously, but through an adult's eye they're just so much lacking and so much conveniences in the plots that they weren't even that enjoyable of listens.

My hold for the 4th book came in and I started listening to it, and then Rowlings and her being a complete shit on Twitter about transgender people. I can't with her and that dangerous, TERFy bullshit - AGAIN. And really there's so many problematic things about the series, but I'm sure you can easily find a number of book bloggers/vloggers who can spell those out better than me.

I let the audio sit with five or ten people - I dunno - waiting until it auto-returned. I couldn't bring myself to finish and don't think I should. I unfollowed her on Twitter a while ago and I'm not interested in consuming any more of her media. I'm done. So, stan Rick Riordan (who is so much more inclusive and diverse and is great on Twitter).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Recent Crap

Hey All

I've moved blogs! Everything here will stay here a bit until I figure out what to do with it. The new blog doesn't have anything on ...