Pages

Wednesday, July 1, 2020

June Wrap-Up 2020 + July Goals

I think the theme for 2020 is going to be 'it's been rough' because, again, June was rough.

Pile o'notebooks & coffee sustenance 

I just started my old job again. Things are slow as everything is trying to pick up. I've seen no evidence of this, but I'm told it has. My biggest worry is getting laid off again since COVID-19 has spiked, again, and that was the reason I was laid off the first time. We'll see.

Last month, I wrote about getting my first draft of 'Coven' down. I'm not even going to put that as a goal for July as it's not going to happen. Not even going to disappoint myself saying I will. I won't. My body is still adjusting to this weird schedule again and the days I'm not working are just too busy trying to catch up with the days I was working to bother with any coherent thought right now.
I've also, for my own mental health, taken a step back from social media. I've only, for a week now, been active on Instagram and Litsy and I'm starting to feel less on the brink of a mental breakdown. The world has been stressing me out (as I'm sure it has been a lot of people) and I've been trying to help in ways I can (petitions, donations, broadcasting what voices I can) but your girl needs a breather. I'm fully aware that this is me showing my privilege and I'm not going to make any more excuses about it.

I think I read more. I don't know. Maybe not more page count-wise (as a majority of the reads were graphic novels) but I did get done an ARC that was one when I got it, though now has been published for a while, which is nice. I got an ARC done in time to post a review the day before I published (and my Insta post about it was liked by the author, which was cool).

Overall, I read 9 things. Four ARCs: I Was Told It Would Get Easier - Abbi Waxman (review), American Sherlock - Kate Winkler Dawson (unsure if I'm going to write a long review), Fang - Sarah Andersen (review), and 100 Ways Your Two-Year-Old Can Hurt You - Chen Weng (review). I also read two other graphic novels: CatStronauts: Moon Mission - Drew Brockington (review) and Nimona - Noelle Stevenson (review). One Tor short: Blood Is Another Word for Hunger - Rivers Solomon (very good, see here). Finally I listened to For Everyone - Jason Reynolds (review) and read White Rage - Carol Anderson (informative, but horrifying read. Review to come soon).

So, stats... five digital (one of which I own), four physical (three of which I own). Four ARCS, four graphic novels, four POC authors, seven female authors, two nonfiction, one poetry. Only two of these books fulfilled some reading challenges: Nimona for my unshelving project, it's a keeper. White Rage for the Reading Women Challenge #6 (nonfic by a woman historian). Three five star, three four stars, three three stars. A fairly good month for quality.

I did quite some retail therapy and bought over a dozen books. I cannot even remember. July I'm instating a book buying ban as my bank account cannot handle it.

I only watched 13 of my 30 choices for my daily horror movie hunt. See my new choices for July.

July Goals:
  • Finish the 3 ARCs I have that will be out in August
  • Finish whatever June reads I haven't already
  • Read a Tor short a week
  • Horror Bookclub Read (The Cabin at the End of the World - Paul Tremblay)
  • July Daily Horror Movie
  • Try a new sourdough recipe (I've been really into this recently)
  • Fix the mask I made, make another (got a sewing machine)
How did your June go? How are you planning on spending your July?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Recent Crap

Hey All

I've moved blogs! Everything here will stay here a bit until I figure out what to do with it. The new blog doesn't have anything on ...