Pages

Saturday, January 11, 2020

'Will My Cat Eat My Eyeballs?' review

This was my 100th book read in 2019!

It's funny. I wanted to read this because I follow Caitlin on YouTube. She's a funny lady, talks about all this scary death stuff in a super upbeat and informative way. I knew a book geared toward kids would be a knock out. I finally bought it because of a book club at my local bookstore and I absolutely breezed through it.

'Will My Cat Eat My Eyeballs?' by Caitlin Doughty


It's so easily digestible and answers some pretty silly questions from kids, but I've found myself discussing it (to the point of it probably being annoying) to my family and co-workers. I work in the death industry and it was really interesting to get some answers I wasn't sure of. Also, had an interesting conversation with my daughter about cannibalism (lol) which was helped answered correctly from the information in this book.

“In 1945 and 1956, two researchers analyzed the donated bodies of four adult males, and estimated that the average male offers about 125,822 calories from protein and fat. That number is far below what other red meats like beef or boar can offer. (Yes, you heard me, humans are red meat.)” 

(If you're interested, no we're not good eats unless you're starving. Would I eat someone if I were starving? I mean, maybe.)

Caitlin is a huge proponent of a more natural death and it's really opened my eyes to a lot of things I just wasn't aware of. I knew of donation - as that's what I do - but did you know you can just be wrapped in a shroud and buried like that? I think that would be cool. And you can get cremated, but with water. Interesting stuff going on in the death industry right now. Great resource for these types on things on a website Caitlin runs with some other folks.

The bookclub tonight went well! We discussed a lot of death stuff and it was fun! It's nice being able to talk with book people even though I'm so awkward. Hopefully, that gets better! Kinda disappointed that Caitlin wasn't there, but oh well 😅

Caitlin Doughty has written two other books that I'm looking forward to reading. I already own From Here to Eternity, which is a sort of death travelogue, and will eventually get Smoke Gets in Your Eyes, which is just is about her entry into the death industry by working in a crematorium.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Recent Crap

Hey All

I've moved blogs! Everything here will stay here a bit until I figure out what to do with it. The new blog doesn't have anything on ...