Pages

Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Day 08 - Star #BookReviewBlogChallenge

Find info about this challenge here.



The eight and last prompt for the Book Review Blog Challenge hosted by Ann over at Great New Reads is star. So, I chose, for having star in the name, Number the Stars by Lois Lowry as suggested by Miss Camila on her post for the third prompt of this challenge, Golden Classics. I realized I hadn't read the book and saw the hold time for the audiobook at my local library wasn't very long... so I went ahead and got it. It only took a little over two hours to finish it on the morning of May 8th.

As I get older, stories about the Holocaust affect me differently. My mind strays to the parents who have to make such difficult and painful choices to keep their children safe. Of some of their children, grown and risking everything to help people and save lives. It was a horrific time and people had to be incredibly brave.

"That's all that brave means - not thinking about the dangers. Just thinking about what you must do."

This middle grade story was about a little bravery. So many bad things are happening around these girls, but it's through their eyes and are blunted. I think it would be a softer, easier read for younger kids. The end, with an author's note about the people that inspired this and the letter from the Danish boy the inspiration for the Resistance fighter Peter was a great inclusion.


“...and I want you all to remember-that you must not dream yourselves back to the times before the war, but the dream for you all, young and old, must be to create an ideal of human decency, and not a narrow-minded and prejudiced one. That is the great gift our country hungers for, something every little peasant boy can look forward to, and with pleasure feel he is a part of-something he can work and fight for."
Surely that gift-the gift of a world of human decency-is the one that all countries hunger for still. I hope that this story of Denmark, and its people, will remind us all that such a world is possible.”
It was a lovely, quick story and I would definitely suggest it. Four out of five stars.

As a note, I totally missed my goal for the 7th post in this series (as I didn't finish the book in time and didn't want to throw off my posting schedule) so I've reworked it and it will drop next week!

3 comments:

  1. Nice work, Unidragon. Will the last post (7th theme) be live before May 18th?
    In either case, do drop the links on my blog- would love to hear your thoughts! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to get it up this Saturday, so yes! I'll have to do that, thanks :)

      Delete
  2. (Miss Camila here) Oh wow! I feel so honored!I know what you mean when you say that the stories about the Holocaust hit you differently as you grow up. My greatgrandparents fled Germany and ended up in Colombia and up until recently we found out details about what they had to endure in the Holocaust that seems like a work of fiction.
    I'm glad that you liked it and I'm so happy to have found your blog through the challenge!

    ReplyDelete

Most Recent Crap

Hey All

I've moved blogs! Everything here will stay here a bit until I figure out what to do with it. The new blog doesn't have anything on ...